Thursday, April 3, 2014

A Little Dumpster Diving Never Hurt Anyone

I know what you're thinking! But I have to say, this was one of those situations where I was at the right place at the right time! My co-worker (whose wife is an interior designer) came to my office (as if he was looking for a partner in crime) and told me the hotel next door to our building was renovating and throwing out a bunch of good furniture. He discovered this only after running into a couple of the hotels employees, who just happened to be claiming a few items.

So we decide to walk over (Ok. I was really running...) They had quite a few fabulous items but I could only get three in my small car, so I chose carefully! My friends and family would tell you, given the time and resources, I would probably would have rented a Uhaul! But I was at work and had many deadlines to meet, so I practiced major discipline!

Below is just one of the items I was able to load into my car. Excuse the blurry photos - I used my iphone as my camera was out of commission and since this is my first post, I'm still learning as I go. But, you'll be happy to know I am taking tips from Growing Your Blog & The Great Juggling Act by Centsational Girl, Thrifty Decor Chick, Nesting Place, Miss Mustard Seed and Tatertots & Jello. Below is the bench before. Nasty...I know!!!

 
 




I started by unscrewing the the cushion seat from the frame.

Then I removed the backing and staples.

Remove the fabric and set the plywood aside




Cut your new fabric the same size as the old piece of fabric. I chose to use an old white linen shower curtain I had in my fabric bin.
Cut a piece of foam using the old foam as a template.


Then cut and roll out a layer of batting over the foam to make it look fluffier. Pull your new fabric over the plywood and staple a few times in the middle of the plywood. Repeat this on the opposite side from the one you just stapled making sure your fabric stays tight and there are no creases in your fabric. Repeat these steps on other 2 sides of your plywood. Then staple all around.

Once your stapling is done, staple the backing back over the backside of the wood.



Whoala!



Crisp and Clean. How many times have you turned trash to treasure?



No comments:

Post a Comment